Events and Outreach Coordinator Job Description
Water to Thrive is a faith-based nonprofit located in Austin, Texas. Water to Thrive transforms lives in rural Africa by bringing the blessing of sustainable, clean water to communities in need by connecting them to social investors, congregations, schools and community groups with a heart to make a difference. Currently, Water to Thrive implements projects in Ethiopia, Uganda and Tanzania. We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to become the organization’s Events and Outreach Coordinator. This position is a part-time 25- to 30-hour-a-week position with potential for becoming a full-time 40-hour-a-week position. It will include some travel (including international), and occasional evening and weekend duties.
The Events and Outreach Coordinator will report to either the Executive Director or the Director of Communications and Development.
The primary responsibility of the Events and Outreach Coordinator is to present the mission of Water to Thrive to its constituents and the larger community by coordinating and presenting the organization’s events, educating the public, and creating opportunities for engagement and support.
- Coordinate every aspect of Water to Thrive’s major annual fundraiser, Chef’s Table Austin, working with an external event planner and vendors to present our signature event.
- Help develop additional outreach events for Water to Thrive including annual fundraising events, volunteer recognition events and other external-facing engagement, and identifying and working with partner organizations to create events together.
- Develop, implement, and oversee a volunteer plan including recruitment, training, coordination, and recognition of volunteers, ambassadors, and student interns.
- In conjunction with the Director of Communications and Development, coordinate publicity, timelines, and implementation for special campaign management and such fundraising initiatives as Amplify Austin, Giving Tuesday, and World Water Day.
- In conjunction with the Director of Communications and Development, contribute to the maintenance of Water to Thrive’s social media presence.
- In conjunction with the Director of Communications and Development, identify opportunities for sponsorships for events and other engagement opportunities and prepare requests for such assistance.
- Represent Water to Thrive and deliver educational presentations at churches, schools, civic groups, colleges and universities, conferences, events, and workshops, communicating with equal ease with Water to Thrive’s various constituencies whether in a faith-based setting or non-faith-based setting.
Competitive for similar position in the Austin area, depending on experience and skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of two years’ experience in successful outreach and events position, nonprofit environment a plus
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
- Event coordination experience, including familiarity with such key pieces of event coordination as vendor contracts, auction software, and silent auction staging
- Public relations and marketing experience
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills; able to multitask and work independently, taking initiative and finding and presenting proactive solutions to address the organization’s needs
- Passion for and understanding of non-profit and international relief work
- Experience in social media and website administration for a nonprofit or small business preferred
- Graphic/web design experience a plus
- Photography and/or videography experience a plus
- Other duties as assigned and as job needs evolve
The successful applicant will be a highly motivated, creative, and experienced individual, comfortable juggling numerous tasks in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment. The right candidate will be experienced in all aspects of community outreach and event production, including presentations, promotions, branding and marketing, media relations, and social media development, and will be well versed in the use of online community building to generate participation and support. An additional background in design and/or strong skills in graphic design are preferred.
We are seeking a candidate who is comfortable with a rapidly growing and changing workplace and is happy to chip in where needed to get the job done. The individual must work well with others, be self-motivated, possess a good sense of humor and upbeat attitude, and have a passion for the mission of Water to Thrive.
Please submit a cover letter and resume including compensation requirement directly to Susanne Wilson, Executive Director, Water to Thrive, firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Events and Outreach Coordinator. Do not call as those who are selected will be communicated with directly regarding a request for an interview.